Monthly Archives: June 2010

Battleships Update

I’ve been rather obsessively working on my Battleships program the last few days, and have quite a bit to show for it: The autosolver works now, as does the random puzzle generator. The random puzzle generator is nowhere near as … Continue reading

Posted in Battleships, C#, Grid-based | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Let’s do start

Yesterday, I was discussing the German imperative with my wife. Due to habits formed in high school and college language courses, we tend to use the formal version of imperatives even with our toddler unless we think about it (for … Continue reading

Posted in English, German | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Battleships: Adding undo, autosolve, and a toolbar

I’ve been thinking lately of making my Battleships program more robust by having a complete autosolver and a random puzzle creator. The first step was programming a step that would do the simple stuff: If a row has n remaining … Continue reading

Posted in Battleships, C#, Grid-based | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

English modals and negation

English modals are a strange enough beast among themselves, but adding in negation leads to especially treacherous waters. This post will restrict itself to the four most common, and possibly most confusing: May, can, must, and have to. May “May” … Continue reading

Posted in English | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

It’s the little things…

Doing some code clean-up on Battleships this morning, I was reminded of a detail of C# logic precedence that I’ve used to my benefit elsewhere (including within the program), but which caused a brief hiccup in one instance. Specifically, while … Continue reading

Posted in C# | Tagged | Leave a comment

Programmatically adding XAML elements in C#

I had originally hard-coded the grid in my Battleships program. This resulted in very repetitive code, since there were 100 cells that contained the same basic information, but I didn’t want to get too bogged down in UI programming matters … Continue reading

Posted in Battleships, C#, Grid-based | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Including external files in a C# ClickOnce deployment

The first version of my Battleships program is done. I’ll be releasing it into the wild today or tomorrow. One hurdle I stumbled over was on how to include XML files as external files in the ClickOnce deployment. My normally … Continue reading

Posted in Battleships, C#, Grid-based | Tagged , | Leave a comment